Work Experience is an integral part of the St Patrick’s Technical College Work Ready Skills program. It provides the opportunity for students to:
- experience their trade choice;
- develop skills for the workplace: and
- gain feedback from an employer about their general employability skills such as attitude, work ethic, punctuality, problem solving abilities, communication and teamwork skills.
Our experience has shown that a significant number of students have been offered School-based Apprenticeships by employers following successful Work Experience placements.
WORK EXPERIENCE BLOCKS 2017
- Block 1 | Mon 10 Apr – Thu 13 Apr (forms due 29 Mar)
- Block 2 | Mon 22 May – Fri 26 May (forms due 10 May)
- Block 3 | Mon 3 Jul – Fri 7 Jul (forms due 21 Jun)
- Block 4 | Mon 21 Aug – Fri 25 Aug (forms due 9 Aug)
- Block 5 | Mon 25 Sep – Fri 29 Sep (forms due 13 Sep)
- Block 6* | Mon 27 Nov – Fri 1 Dec (forms due 15 Nov)
* Year 11 only
If experiencing difficulty in securing a Work Experience placement in these blocks, students should consider using their school holiday breaks as alternative (or extra) work experience opportunities.
Advanced planning for Work Experience is strongly recommended. This planning could include:
- being proactive in approaching employers for Work Experience opportunities and then follow-up phone calls, emails, faxes, etc.
- ensuring the St Patrick’s Technical College Workplace Learning Agreement is fully completed, including all relevant signatures (employer, parent, student). This document is available for download below.
Students are encouraged to seek Work Experience with employers who are known to support School-based Apprenticeships and/or are in need of apprentices. The Careers supplement in The Advertiser on Saturdays is an ideal starting point.
Any student having difficulty identifying a suitable employer for Work Experience or requiring further information regarding the College’s Work Experience program should contact their Pastoral Care teacher, Industry Relations Manager or Student Services.
WORK EXPERIENCE DOWNLOADS
WORK EXPERIENCE GUIDES