Work Experience is an integral part of the St Patrick’s Technical College Work Ready Skills program. It provides the opportunity for students to:
- experience their trade choice;
- develop skills for the workplace: and
- gain feedback from an employer about their general employability skills such as attitude, work ethic, punctuality, problem solving abilities, communication and teamwork skills.
Our experience has shown that a significant number of students have been offered School-based Apprenticeships by employers following successful Work Experience placements.
WORK EXPERIENCE BLOCKS 2019
- #1 | Mon 8 April – Fri 12 April (forms due 29 March)
- #2 | Mon 27 May – Fri 31 May (forms due 17 May)
- #3 | Mon 1 July – Fri 5 July (forms due 21 June)
- #4 | Mon 19 Aug – Fri 23 Aug (forms due 9 Aug)
- #5 | Mon 23 Sep – Fri 27 Sep (forms due 13 Sep)
- #6 | Mon 18 Nov – Fri 22 Nov (forms due 8 Nov)
#6 | Mon 25 Nov – Fri 29 Nov (forms due 8 Nov)
If experiencing difficulty in securing a Work Experience placement in these blocks, students should consider using their school holiday breaks as alternative (or extra) work experience opportunities.
Advanced planning for Work Experience is strongly recommended. This planning could include:
- being proactive in approaching employers for Work Experience opportunities and then follow-up phone calls, emails, faxes, etc.
- ensuring the St Patrick’s Technical College Workplace Learning Agreement is fully completed, including all relevant signatures (employer, parent, student). This document is available for download below.
Students are encouraged to seek Work Experience with employers who are known to support School-based Apprenticeships and/or are in need of apprentices. The Careers supplement in The Advertiser on Saturdays is an ideal starting point.
Any student having difficulty identifying a suitable employer for Work Experience or requiring further information regarding the College’s Work Experience program should contact their Pastoral Care teacher, Industry Relations Manager or Student Services.
WORK EXPERIENCE DOWNLOADS
WORK EXPERIENCE GUIDES